Friday, July 20, 2007

A Friday in London

Alison and I spend a day in London after deciding to stay at a Travelodge in Ilford. Our first stop is the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, which excitingly contained a paperwork by my former University colleague Iavor Lubomirov. The show is often too crowded to appreciate individual works properly, and very much more like a shop than an exhibition. I'd just like to list what I felt were particular highlights, rather than elaborate, as the aforementioned shopping aspect really detracts from comprehending complex associations.

Ian McKeever (red Assembly Painting)
The names I jotted down were just glimpses of works that I found visually appealing. Ian McKeever seems to be the only one who, on further research, has an inspiring body of work and fascinating publication, In Praise Of Painting. The first part appears to be on the topic of light, a subject which always seems to be in my thoughts somewhere, if not altogether articulated to the point of complete understanding.

Mimmo Paladino
Sandra Blow
John Keane

In a superb Gallery VII:
Giuliano Cardella
Nicholas Carrick
Amanda Welch
Joanna Phelps
Karoly Keseru
Natasha Zavialov

Martin Honert
Wilhelm Mundt
Bill Woodrow
Gary Martin
Tatsuo Miyajima


Later, after being rained on and having lunch, we journeyed to Tate Modern. There's an informative exhibition on the comparisons between some of the world's largest cities, in which it is revealed that London is particularly small in most ways other than making money.
Also at Tate Modern, in the Level 2 Gallery, was Learn to Read, an exhibition surrounding the use of text as a visual device and its subversion - or 'miscommunication and erasure'. The use of text is beginning to seem slightly juvenile to me - a little angsty. It's not as terrible as "I am angry. I am trapped in a box and can not get out", but it leans in that general direction in places. Some of the more mature works floated my fancy, such as Graham Gillmore's 'Vull and Noid' and some by Frances Stark. Shrigley, as always, was another highlight. Photographs annotated by his characteristic felt tip pen.

No comments: