
Our recent visit to London took in vaguely work-related tours of the RCA Sculpture Show and the Slade BA Fine Art show. Immediate impressions of both, but especially the RCA, incorporated a vast sense of ambition. I'd like to equate this sense to my impression of reality through spoken languages that have limited names for colours. Or not entirely this, but coming to notice the subtle differences between Universities, and understanding what seems like varying student attitudes. Essentially, I'd not noticed the differences between resultant exhibitions from different Universities until this point.
Particular highlights included, from the Slade, painting by Michael Armitage, Gemma Nelson and (for Rule) video work by Jack Strange. At the RCA Sculpture Show, Rule was particularly enamoured with odd kinetic/video/light based deals by Daniel Pasteiner, whilst I plumped for the carefully constructed painted brick spheres by Thomas Winstanley. Also can't ignore (literally) Jodie Carey's 'Untitled (Monument)', a giant wedding cake constructed from cast bones.




No comments:
Post a Comment